A lot of my clients ask me concerning the big square box from the center section of the house’s upper floor ceiling behind a collection of self-closing louvers. It’s a complete house fan and it may either benefit house owners or make living conditions worse.
* Preferably mild climates with cooler and much less humid nights
* Use it as long as the temperature and humidity outside is much more favorable than the conditions indoors. When your air-con system is operating in the daytime, and also the temperature outside drops lower (although the humidity remains high), don’t turn the here. The vent will suck each of the humid air in your air conditioned house
* A good time periods to utilize it might be, naturally, early morning and evening
If you suffer from allergies, it might not be a great idea to bring each of the pollution to the house. The window screens will stop a number of it, but whole house fans are really powerful and could make you sneeze more than ever.
1. Before you turn the fan on, open as numerous doors and windows as is possible, close fireplace damper and / or glass door, and shut the furnace / water heater room doors (if they are louver type, it won’t matter). The suction from the whole house fan (no less than with the highest speed) is really great, that without open windows / doors, it is going to draw air externally through any possible openings like, for instance, from the chimney. If it is a fireplace chimney and also you don’t get rid of the ashes… well, it’s gonna be a mess. Should it be a hot water heater / furnace chimney, it might blow off of the pilots.
2. When things are all ready, you may start up the entire house fan and usually in the next few seconds you must feel a good amount of exterior air flowing at home. Unless…
3. This part is incredibly important as opening the windows and doors – both really need to be balanced to operate properly so that you can really take advantage of the whole house fan operation. The environment drawn through the whole house fan must be discharged through the attic vents to the exterior. Otherwise, pressure created from the attic area may cause the environment which was just pulled out of your house to return with dust and insulation particles through any possible gaps within the attic wh0le along with the whole house fan itself.
Regular attic ventilation may not be enough to aid the Get More Information operation; you may need a lot more to transport all of that extra amount of air to the exterior. And also the formula to calculate the square footage of your attic vents required to discharge that air is simple. You just need the proportions of all your rooms:
Example: your ceilings are 8′ high and you have four 10′ x 14′ rooms, one 15′ x 17′ room, and a 10′ x 3′ hallway (this is only a sample, calculate every one of the rooms in your own home you imagine should be covered)
10’x14’x8′ = 1120×4 = 4480
15’x17’x8′ = 2040
10’x3′ = 30
Total – 6550 cubic feet
Now you must to divide 6550 by 750, which equals 8.73 sq feet – this is basically the part of the required attic vents (these combined – soffit, ridge, gable, etc.)
4. If the house you’re getting into has got the whole house fan already installed, lets hope that this was properly sized up due to its purpose (there may be a tag in the unit itself), which is to replace your property air within just a couple of minutes.
5. If you’re the main one installing the full house fan, consider 3 or 4 minutes as being an optimal time to the house air exchange. To accomplish this, you’d must divide your home total air volume (6550 cubic feet from our sample) by 3 or 4 minutes. That can provide us with 1810 CFM / 1357.5 CFM (Cubic Feet each minute).
6. An additional important thing: louvers of the Tumblr usually are not air tight and get no insulation applied on their surface; they leak air between your house and attic. I might strongly suggest installing a huge house fan cover in attic area in order to avoid air drafts in the cold season – don’t forget to remove it before you utilize the fan again.
Whole house fans are noisy and many people never make use of them, nonetheless they might benefit your wallet when you apply the above. You will find currently other sorts of house ventilation systems available: they cost more (2 – 3 times) but very quiet, more effective, and supply air circulation for prolonged intervals.